Friday, October 30, 2015

Millions of Prayers

I'm sitting on my couch feeling incredibly blessed.  We had our second appointment today and this month we were able to do both IUI's.  I thought we would though, last month was weird.  So the bottom line is we have 1.5 million chances to conceive with 4 really really good eggs.  :) That's a good thing!  This is the most we've ever had so we are feeling good about that.  Now we pray that the sperm can swim the 6 inches to find the eggs that are waiting for them.  And we wait 2 weeks as ovulation takes place and hopefully embryo's are created and embedded.

Here's Drew checking out our best swimmers!

there are microscopic sperm in there! 


DETAILS:

I know several of you were asking the difference between InVitro (the procedure we did last time to get Asher) and IUI (the procedure with are doing this time.  Well, the biggest difference is the price, IVF is over $10,000 and IUI is more between $200-700 depending on the drugs we use.  The technical differences are:

IVF - the woman takes meds to increase eggs and egg quality and then those eggs are REMOVED and placed in a dish.  The sperm sample is then placed in that same dish and 2 things can happen.  They either allow the sperm to work their way into the eggs, OR they take one sperm and they inject them into the egg (to ensure fertilization).  Then they allow the embroys to grow for 3-5 days.  Once they are at a certain cell stage, 3 embroys are placed back into the uterus in hopes that they attach to the wall.  Then, voila - a baby!

IUI - the woman takes meds to increase eggs and egg quality and then a shot is taken to start ovulation.  The next day a sperm sample is given and spun and the best sperm are collected and inserted into the uterus in hopes that they can swim and find the egg, enter the egg and then create an embryo.  Then we hope it implants and viola - a baby!

In both cases egg increase and quality betters our chances and in both cases there's much prayer. Also in both there is a wait of 2 weeks after the procedure to find out if it worked.  That is by far the worst of it.

Here are a couple of videos that I found that explain what has to happen in order for pregnancy to occur.  After watching these you will 1. believe in God and 2. wonder how anyone gets pregnant.

Praying for this to happen:



This is the entire process without fertility assistance.  Ours were inserted into the uterus so we skipped the first section of this video:

https://youtu.be/BFrVmDgh4v4

(you have to go to youtube. sorry, this video wouldn't let me embed it)

These videos are amazing.  Conception really is an unbelievable thing.

It's hard as it's been a long week of work and scheduling and fighting and longing.  As I sit here and write I feel exhausted.  Asher just went down for a nap and I will too shortly.  We have a fun but busy weekend and I hope for the next 2 weeks I can just shut off my brain.  I honestly feel more depressed than I have in a long time.  Mostly because this process is frustrating and I feel like I have to settle my brain in the chance that Asher might be an only child.  I never wanted that, and I know that if that is what happens, it will be ok.  I guess it's just hard when your childhood dreams come to an end.  It's sad, because most movies don't end this way.  Life isn't a hallmark movie.

A good man from our church died last night.  He was an icon at our church.  He was always smiling and dancing in the isle and everyone who goes there knows who he is.  He was full of life and passion and drive.  He was funny and frisky in love with his wife.  He prayed like he meant it and believed as if it was.  He was one of the most amazing examples of a Jesus lover that I've ever seen.  I know I looked up to him, and I know many others did too. I know he's still dancing, but I will miss him and will be forever grateful for his example in my life.

I also found out my Aunt Deloris died yesterday.  She was my mom's aunt so I wasn't super close to her. But knowing that my mom was close to her makes me sad.  She was the one great aunt that we would visit when I was young.  She was always so kind and although I didn't know her well, it takes my breath away a little bit when I remember how quickly life is going.

It's so strange to know that while life is leaving this earth, Drew and I are trying to bring it.  The beginning and the end.  The seasons speak to this well.  My dr. said an unusual amount of women are ovulating this halloween weekend, so the office was very busy this morning.  It's interesting how many things there are that we don't understand about life.  Knowing there is an almighty God who is ALL knowing, ALL righteous and ALL loving is what I cling to.  So we press on into the next 2 weeks mustering all the hope I can.  Knowing that all the odds are against us.  And believing that God is able.

3 comments:

Machelle said...

Hi! I was just checking for any updates yet? :)

Kat Smith said...

New Post coming soon!

Machelle said...

Yay!!! :)