Tuesday, February 05, 2008

daily subject: school

What have you had to give up to get a good education? Do you know anyone who was home schooled? What courses did you study and how large were your class loads? Describe some of the experiences that you had.


I went to Central Michigan University my second year out of high school. I was going to attend Lansing Community College, but my financial stuff fell through at the last minute. It led to a horrible fight between my mother and I. So I worked 3 jobs (Meijer, Newspaper, Heritage Chrysler) for a year and finally started college at Central. My parents died a week before classes started, so that didn't lead to a very good semester. Day after day of parties, I barely passed. I actually felt good though because Michelle, my roommate got on academic probation and I partied more than she did. But, by the grace of God 2 years later (3 years out of high school) I was recruited by a guy from Michigan Christian College. It was 3 hours away and I couldn't imagine going to a place where there were Christians. Especially Christian men. I had a few friends that went there and so I looked into it. I ended up transferring mid-semester. But the thing I had to give up was SO hard. My family. I was living with my brother and best friend at the time. I had to leave them both. It was so hard to leave, but I knew I had to get out of my current situation. Things were never as fun as those years I lived with them both, but I had to turn a page. The rest of my life was totally changed because of that decision.


I know lots of people who were and are home schooled. Some of my best friends were home schooled and they are some of the most creative people I have ever met. My nephew is home schooled and doing great. It's not for everyone, but it is great for others.

My class loads were typically around 15 credit hours a week. I did pull 21 my last semester of college and got all A's, something I am very proud of. It was the ONLY semester in my life that happened, so I was excited. But I studied all things from business to music to astronomy. I loved accounting but didn't go into it because I found my professor nice, yet boring. Not a very good teacher. I learned to study my last semester and had wished I would have learned it years before. I wish it was a requirement that all freshman take a class that teaches you how to study and research. It wouldn't help everyone, but it would have made a world of difference to me.

To many experiences to write about. From boys to Tau to devo's to taco bell runs...so much fun. Just read my journals. On second thought, don't.

No comments: