Sunday, March 12, 2006

Hope Lifts

I love my life.

I love the road, and the smells that it brings. I sit and watch the Georgia sunset and wonder how in the world did God bring me to this place? I am so blessed. I must be among the riches of the rich, feeling the presence of the King as He gives and gives his blessings and love to me. I recognize Him in the relationships that I am privileged to partake in. The new ones, and the aged ones. Each has His image, and I see it. How did I get here? I wonder as I ride down this highway and feel the comfortable cushion underneath me. Sipping Dr. Pepper and wondering what tomorrow could possibly hold that would take my breath away more than today. I am loved. I am known. I am held. By Him, the holder of all things. There are things in my life I don't understand, and wish I had, but He hears me. This I know.

I have been thinking much on hope lately, and the danger it brings to my life. The bible tells me that Hope never disappoints. I live and breathe based on what the Word tells me. However, this one is hard to understand. If this Hope that it speaks of means in life, based on eternity, then yes, Hope Never disappoints. I know that I will find my home with Jesus, and long for the day of constant, uninterrupted commune with him and my Father. But if it means no disappointment now, I am lost.

I went to a Hallmark store when we were in MO about a month ago. I never go into that store, but I was bored and looking for a card for someone. As I was walking, I saw these little angel statues. I am sure most of you have seen them. They are wooden and show friends, or mom, dad and kids. But then I saw this one, that sort of struck me. It was a child holding a balloon. He was looking up at the balloon as if he was about to leave the earth. The balloon was made of wire and written in it was the word, "Hope".

It was entitled "Hope Lifts Us Up".

Hope lifts. It said something to me. I just stood there staring at it. And crying. I forced myself to think about the children my heart longs for. I have prayed and tried for so long to have a child of my own. And it seems that every time I see one, something in me yearns, longs, exasperates for it. Timing. I know. I have heard the sermon. Tell "wait" to my heart one more time and it will laugh. Wait is tattooed on the outside of my heart and has been there so long it feels like home. And that is where Hope knocks. He is like a kid playing a trick on my heart. You know the trick, there is a knock on the door and you go to see who it is, but when you open the door, no one is there. And when you close the door, there is another knock. I find myself playing this game with Hope month after month, year after year. And I cant help but fall for it's trickery. I MUST open the door. Every time I come to the conclusion that this time I will not answer, I see something in the window. A moment, then hidden. Brown eyes, brown hair. That smile. A child playing tricks. knocking, then running away with jumps and giggles. I must answer. I must open the door to Hope. It isn't disappointing, that is the wrong word. Hope is hidden.

I visited my sister last week. On the drive there I was thinking and praying about this Hope that bugs me so much. I was thinking of that little statue that struck my heart that day in MO. Hope lifts...Hope lifts.... I thought of calling Drew and telling him that I liked it, I knew if I told him I liked it, that he would buy it for me. He spoils me like that. But then I thought, no, I don't really need it, and I just kept driving and continued praying about the things in my life.

I had a great visit with my sister and nephews. I hadn't seen them since Christmas (way too long) and the visit was priceless to me. It was almost time for me to leave and my sister was showing me some cards she had just received in the mail from friends (she makes cards and sells them to raise money for the adoption of their little girl in China. Kariscards.org). Then she said, "Oh! I got this for you. I went into this store for no reason really, and I saw this and felt like you should have it".

Hope lifts


He heard me. He hears me.


I am not content with living facing forward. My gaze must always be different than the most. It must look past the obvious, and into the Promise. It must look up. That is where my home is. That is where I see Hope. That is when it Lifts.

4 comments:

The Human Zoo said...

Reading your post refreshes my perspective.

I see life as light and hope today, thanks to you :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing that down. That is good stuff, And thanks for sending me that picture that says hope on it. These are all words of life to me.

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

Anonymous said...

Transforming Love



I am your vision no matter what happens in life. Know this: I work all things together for your good (Romans 8:28). I do not leave you at the prey of the enemy. I contend. Envision Me standing before you. Let Me be your vision, your focus, and set your face like flint (Isaiah 50:7). See Me standing beside those you love, drawing, wooing, with My Father heart of love.

I am revealing to you and to your family what a true Father is. Nothing escapes My notice, absolutely nothing. Look up to the mountain from whence your help comes (Psalms 121:1). Your help comes from Me, your Lord and Maker and no other, not from any man, only from Me. Chosen one, look up and see how much I am engrossed in your life. Look up into My eyes of love, and know your time has come. The day of deliverance is coming nigh, is drawing nigh for the completing of your family according to My order.

Be patient, and have faith (Psalms 40:1). Open your mouth, and let My faith pour into you, enabling you to endure. Open your mouth, and let My patient love speak through you (1 Corinthians 13:4).

As you behold Me with unveiled face, transformation born of My love for you is taking place. Transformation follows love. You are wonderfully altered by My love, and My love released through you transforms others. To love Me and to love them fulfills the highest call one could ever achieve. Everything flows from this principle. What a pleasure to use you as a manifestation of My love. Beloved, be patient; strengthen your heart, for I have come near to you (James 5:8).