Monday, July 01, 2013

It's my birthday?

I love my birthday. So much!  Every year I look forward to enjoying a day of doing whatever I want including drinking Carmel Macchiato's, eating banana splits and just having fun.  However, this year I totally forgot it was my birthday.  Last week I remembered for a minute and then told Drew I really didn't want anything. (so he got me a bag full of gifts, just like him ;)  ) It has been a strange feeling not thinking about my birthday.  But not strange bad because I really have been thinking about the baby.  He's moving so much and I've just been trying to take care of him.

We had our first baby shower this weekend.  It was super fun but a few glitches.

I discovered last week that some of my invites didn't get sent (because they were on my table - UGH) and some of the evites had the wrong emails.  I didn't think to check them until Saturday and then of course it was too late.  I really feel frustrated because it's like my brain doesn't work the same anymore.  People would always say pregnancy makes your brain go away, but I really didn't think that was true.  I'm starting to believe it.  Once I discovered there were people who didn't get invites, I was so sad and it made for a very emotional Saturday. I woke up and Drew asked me how I was doing and I burst into tears.  I wasn't even sure why I was feeling so sad, but I think I just felt overwhelmed and frustrated.  Overwhelmed because I was about to have my first baby shower (the next day) and I never thought I would have a baby shower.  I don't even like baby showers.  I'm not really a baby lover.  I gotta be honest, they are cute, but they are scary! They are little and they poop and sleep and cry.  And did I mention they are little? And that I will be responsible for a little human being? And we have to pick a name for him still?  That is some scary stuff! I also started missing my mom and wishing she was here. I was so upset about a few of my closest friends not getting the invite and me not being able to do anything about it.  sigh...I was hormonal.

That night some of my favorite people, the Bystrom Family, came to stay the night for the next day party.  I was so thankful.  They have a way of making me smile, laugh and feel good about life.  It was a blessing in so many ways to have them here.  The next day we all got up and Drew made yummy french toast.  Then we went over and got ready for the shower.  I tried to block out those of my friends that didn't get the invite and just enjoy the day.

And it was a beautiful day! We were so blessed by the love from friends and family that 'showered' us with beautiful gifts.  It was strange opening up gifts of onesies and diapers.  I kept thinking, "what am I going to do with this stuff?".  And then I would think, oh yeah, we are having a baby.  I sort of still felt in shock about this baby thing I think.

I sit here tonight on my 41st birthday after a day of work feeling so tired and happy, looking at all of these amazing baby gifts that people have given us.  I will go through them again this week.  I was going to do it tonight, but I'm so tired. I'm excited for this week though.  Wednesday I get to have dinner with several of my best friends, Thursday Drew and I are going to Stratford Canada for our "babymoon" and to celebrate my birthday.  We are only going for the night which is going to be perfect.  We will be home for the weekend which will be so nice to just chill together on a part stay-cation.

I also had a baby appt today.  We are up to 2 week visits.  All was good. :)  She said I look good and everything is going perfect.  I'm SO thankful.  2 weeks and we get an ultrasound.  My dr does a 3rd trimester ultrasound just to check the size of the baby.  I'm SO excited to see that sweet face again. God is so good.

Here are a few pics from Shower #1!



No comments: