Monday, April 15, 2013

insanity and purpose

When I heard about the attack at the Boston Marathon today, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  The first thing I thought was that my brothers run marathons and either of them could've easily been there.  Kelly was only an hour away from New York when 9-11 happened and it was scary to think of how close he was to that situation.  I have a cousin in Boston, she and her husband are fine, Thank God.

I got home and it was so nice out that I decided to take a walk.  The complex where I live moved all of our dumpsters to the west side of the complex so we have to drive our garbage there.  It's super annoying.  But today I decided I would just walk it over during my walk.  I was so saddened by the events of today and I was praying that God would bless the people, the injured, the families of the people that died. As I was praying I started thinking about how this world needs more God.  It needs people of God to stand up and love the unloved.  There are too many people who feel alone or excluded and they do crazy things.  We need more of God's Presence on this Earth.  We need more of His Kingdom.  I was praying and thinking about all of this when I threw my trash in the dumpster and noticed something.  Someone had thrown a Kingdom in the trash.

I stood there and couldn't believe what I was looking at.  There, among the old banana peels and empty bottles, was a perfectly put together Kingdom with king, queen, prince, knights, horses and even a jester. I know it sounds stupid, but I thought someone needs to take that Kingdom out of the trash, clean it up and use it as it was meant to be used. It was perfect looking, but in the wrong place. It had cobwebs and had been unused for a long time.  Why wouldn't someone clean it off and use it? It's perfect looking! Or at the very least sell or give it to a child around my neighborhood.  It didn't make any sense to me at all.  I just knew I had to rescue it.  Yes, I dumpster dive.  Because good things like Kingdoms, kings and queens shouldn't be thrown away and taken off to be destroyed. They should be played with, used to nurture others and help them grow.  

I pray that God's kingdom comes to Earth this week.  I pray that God's people will bring love and peace to situations that don't make any sense. That we won't just sit and do our own thing or throw the Kingdom away and make our own trash but that we will look and find people all around us that just need a kind word.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! out of the ashes, great things will rise...

You have looked into the discarded things that others have thrown away and found a "kingdom with all of its inhabitants". You have rescued this piece of someone else's past and brought it to the present so it can be enjoyed again.
I am reminded of how God has saved us from the trash of this world, put us in His care, cleaned us up and put us in someone else's future. All of this in the plan set in motion by the death on the cross. We have been saved from our past to be in His future. We are truly blessed to be a part of His plan.

Some would say that this is "insanity", others would say that it is "purpose". You have shown that it is a God given trait handed down from your mother, to be passed onto your child. From there to be enjoyed by all that know you and will know him in the future.

My prayer is that you will continue to be in God's grace and be blessed by Him, that your goodness and kindness will be seen by all that know you and that His "purpose will be our insanity".

Thank you for letting me share in your and Drew's life.

The Commentator.

Kat Smith said...

Oh wow...I'm blessed and humbled at your words. Thank you.

Anna said...

God speaks to you in the most amazing ways. Thanks for not keeping His words to yourself!