Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Why the fruit?

When i see something i want, i have to have it. what is it in me that makes me this way? I wonder if God designed us to feel the NEED for things that we really don't even need. I sit here 'needing' a new white shirt to go with my pants i just bought a few weeks ago. I have a shirt, but it is long sleeve and wont do for the summer. honestly i have been wearing the same dress clothes for probably 7 years. I don't dress up that much, so why buy new clothes? but as i walked out of the Gap (just dropping in there to see what was on sale) with 3 new shirts because they were only $5 each, i wondered, "what am i doing?". I didn't NEED them. I don't NEED much. Yet I sat at the table today and filled in the blanks of my never ending checkbook and watched my money be organized away. Over things, i don't need.

My pastor talked about giving this Sunday. I usually don't like to hear those lessons, but than i guess, who does. Typically i think i am a good giver. I don't usually fee like i need to give more than i already do. They are doing a campaign to raise money for a few new buildings. The title for it is, "Possessing the Land", and the sermon was on "Equal Sacrifice-Not Equal Gifts". I don't think i equally sacrifice with people. I don't believe i wait for much of anything. Yes yes, i can't go buy a car, or an i-pod, but if i want a soda, i buy one. If i want a new shirt and it is under $15, i buy it. That is not sacrifice. And then i was thinking about the Garden of Eden. Eve saw something she couldn't have, and she wanted it. And she knew God said, "trust me, that is not good for you, so don't touch it", but she still wanted it. I wonder how long she stood and stared at that tree allowing the enemy to taunt her thoughts. She must have weighed out the good and the bad, thinking that it couldn't hurt that much. It seems the things we think will only affect us, soon take root and affect everyone around us, changing things forever. Things we might never see. So she gives in, and eats. I wonder if her face was still sticky with fruit as she hid from her Creator. He still loves. And I still stare at the things i must have.

No comments: