Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The dove's twig

Have you ever had those moments when something happens, but it is so cool, it almost seems like a dream? I experienced that very thing this morning. Drew and i were on our way to the office to load up and leave for MO for the week. We were discussing things that are happening in our lives that are hard to deal with, and frustrating. It seems we have these on going conversations about life and we give them all to Jesus and then wait for him to fix them, but for some reason he doesn't . We were talking over why he doesn't fix things for us, in our time, and then i noticed something. It came and went so quickly i wasn't sure it had even happened. I looked up as we were passing a traffic light, and i saw a dove. Not just a regular bird, but a huge, white, dove flying over us. He had something in it's mouth as if he was taking it to his nest somewhere close by. He was carrying a branch with small blue berries on them. And then he was gone. I almost dismissed it like I do any other bird i see because it really isn't that unusual to see a bird fly over you. But there was something different about this one. It seemed to carry something other than just a branch, it seemed to carry purpose.

I was taken back to Noah and the ark and the people on the ark. I was thinking how frustrating it must have been to be on the ark for months at a time. The bible tells us it was at least 40 days without even seeing the sunlight. All stuck in a boat swaying back and forth on waves, filled with the smell of animals, and each other. I bet they were a bit frustrated by the end of it, or maybe even the middle. I am guessing they just wanted off that prison so they could run! But they were stuck. Being stuck, well, sucks. But we have all been there, in that waiting place. We have all been at a place in our lives where we are waiting and waiting, and waiting for God to do something. We pray daily for Him to make the floods go away, and raise up fresh land for us. I can't imagine stepping off the ark into a new world filled with lush grounds and adventure.

Yet, here I am waiting. "Give us a sign Lord!" I exclaim. And then, He did. "Hold on child, the flood is almost over".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah I know those days. hmph...you think I should just be excited...you know that God cared enough to spare me from the flood...and put me on this ark. :) Life is pretty good, but I forget where I am sometimes. Good thoughts. I like your thoughts. I love you and your thoughts.