Monday, June 06, 2005

Debbie's Kids

As I read through my last blog on the sound of music kids, it reminded me of my friend Debbie Lukasiewicz and her 8 children. Danika, Tim, Taylor, Ty, Ronise, Chase, Travis, and Tori (I have always wanted 8, but that is a lot of names!) I remembered a time last summer when we visited with them in Denver. We all went to eat at this cool restaurant with cliff divers, mexican hat dances and much, much more! We had time to play in the game rooms, where Sators and I conquered the skee ball. Sators skee ballAnd I wondered how Debbie could keep her eye on 8 kids! The older kids do help a lot, but sometimes, I think it would just be hard. And this day, it was. Debbie was playing Ms. Pac-man, when all of a sudden she realized Chase, one of her 4 year olds, was not around. She frantically looked for him, sending out several search parties of children. We couldn't find him anywhere. I could see in Debbie's eyes that she was worried and didn't know what to do next. We searched every place again, and then we saw him coming up the stairs with Tony. There was another game room in the lower part of the restaurant that we didn't know about. And the Earth breathed.

Debbie handled it wonderfully, and she still is super mom, letting her 16 year old son live for 3 months in Africa while going to a missions school. Who does this? But I am learning that those who have these large amounts of kids HAVE to trust God. And therefore they learn to trust Him more and it seems like they walk more peacefully. I wondered last summer as I watched Roni play with worms while the boys were running around their Colorado home, how does she do it? Ronise worms Isn't she concerned that the floor might get dirty? But as I heard story after story of how their kids help others and give up toys, and even bedrooms to kids who don't have them, I discovered, God is there. And it really doesn't matter if they eat with dirty hands when they know Jesus Christ. I think God will take care of the rest.

Luk fiddle

So I raise my glass to those families of 2 kids and up. As your family grows, so does God grow closer to you.

No comments: