Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Ajax intro

We have a bunny. His name is Ajax. Ajax is a new bunny to us, drew got him for Christmas, which actually turned into Valentines because Ajax wasn't born yet. He is so cute and it is strange how God allows us to learn so much from him. I was watching Ajax the other day, and he is getting to the stage where I think he is teething. He is ALWAYS chewing on things. He will hop around the house and chew on the base boards, videos, cords, boxes, paper, even metal (although that doesn't work very well for him). We have been told that Ajax can be trained, which is a great thing. So we have taught him to use the litter box, just like a cat, and he is learning that "NO" means don't do something. Ajax's favorite things to chew on are my rugs and carpet. He will sneak over to my rugs and when I am not looking he will chew them. I don't really mind that much, but the problem is, if he ingests the threads off of the rug, he will get the equivalent of a hair ball. This for a cat is not a problem because they can hack it up, which is fun to watch. But for bunnies, the hair ball just sits there in the belly and eventually it has to be surgically removed. So to avoid the vet bill, and to help Ajax, we are teaching him not to eat carpet and rugs.

One day I was sitting on the couch and Ajax walked, well hopped, up and started biting at the carpet. I told him, "No, no Ajax!" and then clapped my hands in a loud way. This is how we were told to discipline him because you are never supposed to hit a bunny.
Bunny experts say they turn violent or something. I continued to discipline the only way I could, clap, whistle, yell loudly etc at Ajax, but he didn't respond to me. I did see him stop, then look up at me, but then continue to bite at the carpet. So I came towards him thinking this would scare him away from it. Nope. Then I got down on the floor and put my nose to his and said, "No, no bunny." but still, nothing. So I put my hand under his mouth so he couldn't chew anymore. It wasn't until then that he looked up at me and I had his attention. He finally hopped away. And I was thinking, "man, what is your deal bunny. This is not good for you, just trust me!" and there it was. Me and God.

I felt the frustration He feels with me when He is trying to get my attention, or telling me not to do something. I am so focused on what I want, that I am not willing to even look up at Him. Or maybe I do look up and decide not to do what He says. So He has to come to me, get in my face, and sometimes take away the thing that I am 'loving'. And only then will I look to Him and really SEE Him. And sigh in my frustration for wandering once more. Or like Ajax, just hop away to find something else, instead of staying with my master.

It is strange how God loves us anyway and just like with Ajax, two minutes after I was done telling him "no", he was making me laugh. Jumping, sniffing, playing with paper, and I sit and smile at him. And then turn my face up and smile again, just to say thanks.

ajax what are you looking at?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

who ever thought that a bunny could teach us spiritual lessons? i think that God teaches me lessons through the most unlikeliest of people, things and situations. thanks for reminding me to look for them! keep writing!

tomirose said...

Okay another kid anaolgy. I remember when Johanna and Niah were little and we were living in FL. We had this big sliding glass door that the sun would shine through beautifully....and show all these little handprints. I remember cleaning the door, and being so frustrated because the next time I'd look, my view would be marred by these handprints. One day I was about to blow my top over said handprints, when it occured to me that God probably had much of the same frustration with me.... after cleaning up my messes, I'd get right back in there and make new ones. Much like my kids did with the window. He however, was way more patient with my messiness than I was with theirs. For sure.