Monday, June 05, 2006

the lost paintings

I was driving around and passed this garage sale yesterday. They had a fence thing that you keep animals in and I pictured Ajax hopping around inside of it in the grass and I smiled. As I walked up to the house I noticed they were using the fence thing for puppies that were for sale. They were cute. But they were also selling a few other garage sale items, you know, typical things, books, cups, tools etc. Then I noticed 2 boxes FULL of paintings. They were on canvas, all different colors and sort of looked like smudges of paint. Nothing that really caught my eye except that their were lots of them.

A woman from the garage asked if I was going to buy one. I thought, "yeah right." and then I looked up. She was retarted. I knew I didn't like the paintings and probably wouldn't buy one. Her sister asked if I was looking for something specific at the sale and I told her I was looking at the fence. She told me it wasn't for sale (because it had puppies in it!) and I said ok thanks and started to walk away heading to the sale at the house two doors down. As I was walking, the retarted sister said to her sister, "Isn't anyone going to buy my paintings?". Just then I thought, what if that is Jesus. Not that Jesus is retarted, but you know what I mean. I knew I would be going back to buy a painting.

I did go back, but I didn't buy one, I bought five. I had to leave to go to the ATM to get cash. By the time I returned it was pouring. So I ran into the garage to buy the paintings. She signed them for me. She said she couldn't wait to get rich and famous. I told her she already was.

No comments: