Thursday, February 07, 2008

17 years and no introduction

I just read one of the saddest letters. I received it from my brother yesterday. My sister has started a conversation with us about our parents death. Specifically my mother. Both of my parents were tragically killed when I had just turned 19. My brother was 16, my sister 27. Their birthdays are in October so they weren't their year older yet. My sister contemplating life and battling depression has realized she misses and needs my mom. A hole that will never be filled. My brother in turn has communicated his hurts of how much he missed out on without parents. "I've lived more of a life without them then with them. I've never introduced them to a girlfriend or had an adult conversation with them. They never knew me.". Both letters were heart breaking to me. I believe I have dealt with my parents death for the most part. I know I will always miss them and always need them, but I have been SO very lucky to have TONS of people surrounding me that have helped me through these times. My sister and brother are not as social and have had a harder time creating these worlds. Maybe it's not about being social, maybe it was just luck. My brother reminds me in his letter that although things might seem depressing right now, they will change. They always do. He is right. My life has changed so much in the past 10 years. Not better, not worse, just changed. I have realized although the place where you are now might seem like the worst hell you could possibly be in, there could always be something worse, so be careful what you proclaim.

Sometimes i wonder what makes one person more mentally able to handle life than others. I know friends of friends who can't deal with losing family. They end up in mental hospitals for days at a time trying to figure out how to continue living without this person they loved so much. I know people who deny their feelings and fill their day up with jokes and smiles to avoid the pain or fear that they are actually feeling inside. I have seen movies about people who have gone through something traumatic and "snapped" going on killing sprees. I can somewhat understand people walking around homeless because situations have caused them to not cope. Yet I keep thinking in my life that I am on the edge of all of these situations, but nothing in me snaps. I am waiting for my brain to click over and I find myself out in the snow unable to speak. Or driving aimlessly until the gas runs out of my car. But soon after a good cry session and possibly a blog writing, I get up, take a shower and start my day. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? What make me different from all those other people unable to cope. And how do I get there?

The closest I ever get to not coping is avoidance. And even that doesn't work forever with me. I can't help but dive into my issue tearing it a part from one side to the next. Not allowing it to destroy me with fear, sadness or torture. This could take several years, but I am moving through it. I don't like that about me. Many times I wish I could just leave my parents tomb stone in that freezing cold cemetery and forget it is even there. Like almost pretending that they are on some long extended vacation or something. But my heart brings me back to that grave year after year to face it's harsh reality. Something is dead. Something is changed. Something is void. You are looking at it in the face, so your move. And that's just it, I moved. Breathe in breathe out. Some days that's all you can do.

My smile is hidden these days somewhere in the frozen tundra of Hudsonville. Along with my personality and future. Maybe one day it will thaw...

No comments: